Friday, October 3, 2008

Troubleshooting Lab

Initially I could not log onto the John Smith account, Vista said the username or password was incorrect.

Hypothises: Since I was not typing in the username, I knew it had to be the password. I logged in as administrator and changed the password for John Smith.

Solution: After changing the password I could log in as John Smith.

After running the second script, I tried to edit the file and was denied access: Vista said the file could not be created.

Hypothises: Folder permissions might be denying John Smith access.

Attempt #1: I logged in as administrator and added the "Users" group to folder permissions and gave the group full access.

Going back to John Smith, I was still unable to edit the file, so the access permissions did not solve the problem.

Attempt #2: The only other reason I know why I wouldn't be able to change a file is if it was read-only.

I checked the attributes and the fale was read only. After turning that off, I was able to edit and save the file.

I thought at first that it was a combination of the two that had fixed it, the folder permissions and the read-only, so I went back to Administrator and undid the permissions changes. After logging back on as John Smith however, I was still able to edit the file, so it was only the read-only attribute that was preventing me from saving it.

Solution: I just had to turn off the read-only attrubute. I was overthinking the problem.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Full credit for this....I still hate your colors.

Abe said...

The "fale" was read-only? :P