Wednesday, November 12, 2008

You've Been Baselined

Why is baselining important? To be able to record the difference made by hardware or software changes (installing more memory, installing google desktop), also knowing the baseline of my own personal computer has helped me to detect viruses before (there's a post earlier in this blog about that). It is also helpful in recognizing bottlenecks, so that work can be done to overcome those.
I was unable to rate my virtual Vista with the index due to an error, probably an error related to it being a virtual machine, but here you can see the vital stats of the machine.

Here you can see the usual activity, if you let Windows have it's way for a few minutes. It's interesting to note the jumps when I made the image in paint...


The bottom line: Windows just can't leave itself alone.

Baselining may not be too important on a personal computer, but it is much more useful in a business setting.

No comments: