Tuesday, January 13, 2009

ServerManagerCmd failure to launch

While doing an activity assigned to me, I ran across this error while running ServerManagerCmd:
Being new to Server 2008 and the server manager command, I had no idea what that meant, and rather than trying to spend the time to figure out what was wrong, I moved on to the next excercise. A few excercises later, I needed to open the server manager window. When I did, it popped up with the add / remove roles wizard and displayed a statusbar that said "Resuming configuration...". It was at this point that I realized that a configuration that I had been doing earlier had not finished for some reason. After the previous configuration completed, I went back to the command prompt and tried again, and saw this:

Much better. This is the kind of result I was looking for the first time.